Yesterday night I went to see Seth Godin and it was truly inspiring. Before this event, I thought he was a guru of the broadcasting kind. No comments on his blog, no Twitter account. He's very sensitive to anonymous criticism, he explained later. A bit weird in this Age of Conversation, but understandable from a human perspective.
I went over to learn more about marketing in the 21st century. But what I heard was a motivational speech for those unhappy in their current professional situation. Like Gary Vaynerchuck, Godin held a plea for plain hard work, discipline, believing in yourself and delivering. The term Godin uses for that last aspect is shipping. But trying to deliver often meets with what life coach and bggd speaker Inge Rock called the terror barrier, a passage out of your comfort zone, or even outside resistance: "The resistance leads people to make suggestions that slow you down, suggestions that water down your idea, suggestions that lead to compromises."
And the good news is: to ship, you no longer need machines, a factory, or trucks. All you need is a laptop and internet connection. And nobody or nothing to get in your way.
I can't help but think: it's a good thing to be a focused, dedicated, self confident genius/artist, but what's it like for those who have to live (and work) with these geniuses? What is their role? Should they silently put up with it, try to resist anyway, or simply provide the comfort the genius/artist needs?
More food for thought was Seth Godin's advice for young parents: "Kids need to learn two things:
- solve interesting problems, and
He makes it sound so easy. You might, indeed, open conversation during dinner with your eight year old with "So how do you think Antwerp should solve the traffic problems?", and it might just well work out. But I'm pretty convinced that the majority of children just wants to blend in, be like the other children, not be left out or criticised. I'm only guessing here, but what if only, say, 5% of any children is motivated and talented enough to become a leader? What about the other 95%?